Monday, December 28, 2009

Frankfurt Tourism = FAIL

I am on a 12 hour layover in Frankfurt Germany. I like the long layovers because it normally gives me the chance to go out and explore for a bit then head back to the airport and catch my outgoing flight. Mind you I have been here a few times so I am not hyper motivated to walk around this city in the middle of winter. Since I am here already I figured, why not!

I did the usual of going to the information desks and asked about storage for my luggage and things to do in town. This is where things started to go south. I got my bag in storage just fine. Then, I asked about transportation into the city. The first guy at the tourist information both said he had no idea what I could do while here for 12 hours. That was not very helpful. I had to press him and he gave me directions the "metro". I roamed around and never found a metro. I went to a place that had signs all written in English about special sightseeing tours for people in the airport. I don't normally go for this kind of thing but I was bored so I went in and asked. I guess the signs are in English but the tours are only in German. Understandable since I am in Germany. I asked him about other stuff to do. He had no idea either and gave me directions to the "metro" (totally different directions than the first bloke). Again no metro.

I repeated this hunting process on 4 more people at the information and tourist booths, all with similar results. I even asked a complete stranger, same result. Finally I decided it was really not worth it. If it is this much trouble to go sightseeing in the city I am not going to waste my time and money on it.

I found a nice little cafe with Wi-Fi in the airport and got some coffee and will surf the net until I have to leave. I should mention, every single person I spoke with was friendly and outgoing. The shuttle driver and I even joked around about long solid cylindrical objects being broken and flat. Totally not a PG conversation but fun to have with a total stranger. The girl with him was in tears from laughing so hard.

Sorry Frankfurt, I had a wallet full of money I would have gladly spent in your city if only you had given me the option to do so.

No comments: