Sunday, May 29, 2011

Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Rally

So I made it to DC in case you were wondering. I have been here for
several days now.

I'm at the:

Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Rally
Http://www.RollingThunderMotorcycleRally.com

Right now. It's a ride through DC originally established after the
Vietnam war to bring attention to the POW/MIAs. It has since turned
into a support the troops ride. The first year there were 2,500
riders. This year they expect in excess of 250,000 riders and I'm one
of them!!

The people here are hard core cool! A couple of guys have set up a
lean to tent with their bikes and are sleeping now. The ride started
at noon but we are in the back of pack so we have not moved at all.

Jane and Joe to my right rode up from southern VA. Actually Joe drove
the truck and Jane rode the bike up. I love it!! They told me about a
ride down to Venezuela where they were headed through a mountain pass
to the city of La Jolla. They came around a corner and saw a group of
people lined up against the mountain. National guard were holding them
at rifle point. J&J just kept on going. Man that would be scary!!

Francois and Steve are on my left. One owns a Harley touring bike and
the other a Honda Goldwing Touring bike. We spent an hour comparing
the various gadgets and gizmos. Turns out they have the same cool
stuff just in slightly different places.

In front of me is Mark and his wife "Miss Fairfax county 2010". They
have invited themselves to join me on my ride back to LA. Well mark
did, the wife said hell no. We exchanged emails. I'll see how that one
pans out.

This is my first motorcycle rally ever. It is by far the coolest thing
I've ever done on my bike. Thanks to my friend Cox (cool name I know)
for telling me about it.

I wish you could all be here to join me and enjoy this with me. Since
you're not, live vicariously through me !!

Cheers

No comments: