Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Biggest Party of the Year and I was There



In Russia this time of year you will see signs all over the place with a phrase in Russian (obviously in Russian because it would be silly to have signs in a different language). This Particular phase translates to “happy new year”. New Years here is bigger than Christmas or as far as I know, any other holiday in the country. It is very cool that we were able to be here and be a part of it.I spent the day of New Years Eve sleeping a bit then hanging out at Maria’s place. My friend Christina wanted to go out and do something and I was definitely game for some fun!! I had previously promised Sean, Sarah, and Mitch that I would let them know if we were going out. I sent messages to them and exchanged every one’s text number so we would all be able to stay in communication. I heard nothing back from the three at Vitya’s house and Maria did not want to leave her house, so I headed out with Christina alone. Our goal was to go ice skating at a park pretty close to Maries place by metro. I had no idea what stop it was at but Christina had been there before. Of course we ended up at the wrong metro stop, but not before we took several wrong directions and accidently exited the system more than once.

Just so you don’t think that I am some super great traveler or something, I make mistakes all the time on my trips and hit stumbling blocks often. This trip on the metro is pretty typical for me. The key is how I deal with the problem that makes the trip enjoyable. Luckily Christina is of a like mind. We just went with the flow and had a good time exploring the metro system and talking with each other. We finally made it to the metro stop we were looking for and, oops, it was the wrong one. Turns out she had taken us to the metro with the blues bar nearby. We decided that going out for a drink would be a good idea at this point. We did just that, and had a wonderful time just talking about life and adventures. Funny Christina and I were talking about how we met and I just assumed I had known her for many years. She just feels like the kind of friend you have known forever. We came to the conclusion that I had actually only met her in late 2006 and really only hung out with her a few times. I guess when you meet a friend, and then time is not important, because with friends the bond is the important part.

We made it to the skating place, actually a park with pathways that had been sprayed down with water and left to freeze. This may be one of the coolest skating places I have ever seen! Unfortunately we arrived in time for them to close. Christina had skates but I did not. We left and headed back home, she to her sisters and me to Maria’s. Maria met me at the metro and we headed to Vitya’s place.

At this point Heather had returned safely from her private excursion in the unnamed city. I have heard second hand that Jean was very worried about her. I have also heard conflicting reports that Jean called several people crying asking if heather had returned yet. It is sweet that she cares so much. I know Heather well and I was fairly confident in her ability to take care of herself. I was of course relieved to hear she was back. Vitya picked her up at the train station so she would be meeting me at Vitya’s when I arrived.

Vitya’s parents are the epitome of a mother and father figure. Before you even make it in their house you feel the love and caring flowing around you like a cool rain on a warm day. Sasha the mother is constantly chattering away at you making sure you have everything you need, that your boots and clothes are placed in the correct spot, and that you have done everything you are supposed to have done at the right time, just like a mother should. Vitya’s father sits there in silence most of the time as a casual observer and ready to offer aide whenever you need it, just as a father should. Visiting their place is like going home to the family that you only read about in books. I can see why Vitya turned out to be such a good person. We had a marvelous dinner at Vitya’s house that of course ended in several toasts of vodka to bring in the New Year.

On TV and Movies the Russian people are made out to be a very stoic people, and in many ways this is correct. While riding the metro or walking around town the people in general look very serious. I am of the belief that the universe works in balance of various elements from the macro to the micro levels. The Russian people I have had the pleasure to be with have shown this to be true. When interacting on a more personal level they have proven to be a very warm and caring people. The stoicism is well balanced with a deep and genuine ability to express emotions towards others. This is much more intense than I experience at home in LA. In LA we maintain balance by behaving the same in public as we do in private. For all you tech geeks out there the term is WYSIWYG.

On the topic of public stoicism, they were true to form at New Years Eve in Red Square. Everyone just sort of stood there quietly for about an hour talking quietly to friends. I was actually able to hear Maria talking without difficulty, in this sardine packed area. It was slightly disconcerting, but interesting at the same time. I had done my hair straight up with a small stuffed ox attached for good measure. I stood out a bit and I loved the double takes I received when I would wish people a happy new year and they realized what was on my head. We all cheered in unison as the clock stuck midnight then quieted for a minute before calmly and orderly exiting the square. As my friend gentry would say “Awkward”

In our little group we had Sean, Sarah, Mitch, and Maria. Heather decided to stay home because she was exhausted from her trip. Mitch wanted a bar to keep his buzz going so we headed off in a random direction to find a bar. I took every opportunity I could to wish strangers a happy new year. My enthusiasm was infectious, as my group started to join in the fun. We were suddenly a roving band of well wishers. No one was safe from our merry wishes of a good year to come. At one point, we found another outside party with well ordered revelers. As we were leaving, some girl yelled in excitement so I joined and yelled back in excitement. Before I knew what was happening she had jumped on me wrapping her legs around me as we spun down the pathway dancing for about 10 seconds. She was holding a beer and according to Sean we made a wonderful sprinkler as the fluid flowed freely from her open bottle while we twirled. I was able to extricate myself and rejoin my friends on the way to the metro. We never did find that bar. Sorry Mitch maybe next time.

We made it back to the metro and we sent Vitya’s three off to find their metro stop while Maria and I headed back to her place. I spent the rest of the night picking on Maria and talking. Her great Grandmother is a famous poet here in Russia. She was a prolific writer as well. I found some children’s books she had written in the library. Maria helped me muddle through some of the poems. We finally went to sleep at 8 AM on New Year’s Day. All in all it was a marvelous day and a marvelous night and a marvelous morning. Adventures like this never come twice. Grab life by the horns and hold on for an outstanding memory, before it is too late and you can only reminisce about the things you never tried!!!

Later guys I will post again soon.

No comments: