Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bummed in Brussels

I am not sure if my day really had a beginning. If I were pressed to identify when my day began I would have to say it began last night as I put my clothes on to wash. That officially marked the beginning of my departure preparation. Unfortunately as is normally the case when it comes to me and leaving I had a thousand things I needed to get done and not enough time to do them all. I think it is now a standard practice of mine to travel on zero sleep. I was able to complete my postings to this blog as well as upload some videos. I was not able to post a link to the videos, that will have to come when I get WiFi access to post this blog.

I packed up all my stuff and hit the road. The bus out of Matt’s place was late or missing for about an hour. Finally the bus came and off I went. Time sorta flew by after that. I remember it in flashes rather than a continuous journey. *Flash* the bus comes to a stop at a station. I ask, several times if we are at Leeds, finally I am understood; turns out we are at white rose, a shopping mall. *flash* my eyes fly open and the bus is emptying of the last passenger. I assume this is Leeds and hurry to get my bag. I check in at the counter for the national express bus line to London. *flash* the doors are opening and the announcement is on the loud speaker, my bus is arriving. I load my stuff into the bus and grab a seat. I start to get comfortable *flash* we are at a bus stop in the middle of nowhere for a 5 minute rest stop. The lady sitting on the inside seat next to me has moved seats while I was out. *flash* we are at the stop in London. I grab my stuff and drop my glasses, some nice person picks them up for me “thanks”. I roam around London looking for the underground “the tube”, I don’t ask for directions. After roaming through the mall I find it. I recognize the station from when I was 9 years old. I remember where the ticket lines are and the entrance to the underground. Feels good to remember this. I am hungry but I want to get my train ticket first then worry about food. I have already eaten a sandwich for breakfast.

I buy a one way pass for zone 1 and check the map to find the Waterloo station. I have already checked my guide book and I know which metro the Eurostar will leave from. I get to Waterloo without much difficulty at all. Proud, hungry, and tired I wait in the que of the ticket line. The nice man at the window after a 30 minute line informs me that as of November of last year the Eurostar station has moved to Kings cross St Pancreas metro stop. ARG!!!!!

I head back to the underground and back track my steps to get to the correct stop. Man this bag is heavy!! The pessimist in me is wondering if the station really moved. I wonder if one can just move a train stop for a major train like that. In my mind this is tantamount to moving Union Station in Washington, DC. Now I am wondering if maybe he is just playing a 4 pound joke on me. I make it to the new stop and get off. The Eurostar is there and I am relieved. I buy my ticket for a discount because I have a Eurail pass. I plan on leaving my bags behind and going exploring for an hour or two. She informs me that the check in for my train is…NOW. Oh man I rush down to the new que and skip all the food places and shops I wanted to peruse. I was going to buy postcards and mail them out to some people but, not now. I make it to the check in place and my ticket does not work. I have to have them do it manually. It works and I board the train. I get my stuff settled and *flash* we are moving through some country side. I read the signs and most seem to be in English must still be in England. I go grab a curry meal from the dining car. It tastes like crap but I was hungry. *flash * everything is dark we must be under water now. *flash* my phone vibrates I get a text message from my dad.

**yes dad I got your message**

I make a quick note to include this in my blog tonight. *flash* we are here in Brussels. I hurry and gather my stuff. Quick check of the map and I am off.

Now it gets a little pathetic. Time to make a confession, I am so out of my element here. I normally come across as confident and self assured. I can do this because I am in situations that I am familiar with. People have told me I am arrogant at times and I agree, but this is due to the fact that I have actually taken the time to learn what I need to know and more. I am arrogant because I know what I am talking about, because I learned and practiced it. Now here I am traveling internationally alone in a place I know nothing about including the language and I am terrified of meeting new people. Generally when I do something new I keep the learning process to myself. By the time people actually see me doing something I have already spent countless hours developing a skill in that area. By typing this up you get to see me as I muddle my way through a truly terrifying experience.

This trip was originally planned for four people; Matt, Heather, Roy, and myself. Well as you may have guessed I am the only one to actually make it. People tell me it sounds like fun to travel like this. I am not so sure. You see today as I got off the train I knew I should take the light rail car to Brussels Centraal then walk 2 blocks to the hostel. It would be a 3.2K walk up hill otherwise. Well guess what. I could not read the signs and I was too shy to ask anyone for directions so I walked through the city hoping I was going in the right direction carrying my heavy bag. I did eventually find the hostel and I did not talk to a single person to do it. Not really a point of pride for me by the way.

After checking in I went out to explore and get a bite to eat, maybe even meet some people. Well, I walked and walked and walked. I found several restaurants but of course could not read the menu. I did not want to ask the waiter out front because the thought of trying to communicate with them seemed out of reach. After walking around and past several restaurants I headed back to the hostel. Here is where it gets a little funny. I was so hungry I would not walk inside; instead I turned and walked down another street and past more restaurants. This cycle repeated like a tribute to the Asimov book I’Robot when the…(If you have read the book you get the reference). Eventually I made it back to the Hostel without food. I had a coke for dinner and I am really looking forward to breakfast tomorrow. Maybe I will meet people there. Remember my goal this trip is to get over this stupid insecurity I have in new situations. I wish I had a friend here to bolster me. *flash* Hungry, sad, depressed.

Right now I am trying to connect to the WiFi network here without much luck. Let’s hope it works soon because I would really like to sleep. This room is now full of people speaking French. Wish I knew what they were saying. Maybe in my next blog I will type up the rest of my thoughts I wanted to share. But this one is getting kinda long.



No comments: