Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Last day in Yorkshire *sniff sniff* I will miss it dearly.

Wow busy day today. Really more busy for me not so much stuff for you. I am always looking for some sort of insight or interesting thing to talk about on these blogs. I at least like to include one personal conversation with someone. I have been told this makes reading my stories more interesting. Honestly I think it just takes the edge off the mundane.

I was talking with Matt’s mum (that’s mom in the USA) and suggested she keep a blog of all of the stories she hears while she is hosting people at a youth hostel she works at occasionally. She told me that her stories were too boring for people to read. She really hit home with that statement. Often when I am typing this stuff up I feel the same way. I mean come on it is just my life, nothing terrible interesting about it. I know you are saying it is interesting to travel across the country by bike or it is interesting to travel through Europe for 6 weeks. The actual journey seems like one step after another to me, it is hard to see the adventure when you are so close to it. I just keep plugging away at stuff and try to enjoy the scenery while doing it. When I am actually doing this stuff it feels much less glamorous than it may seem. I hope you do enjoy reading about what I am doing and maybe it will inspire you to take a trip of your own someday.

I recently read a friends blog who was looking for profound insights to the meaning of life and, well there was no and it was just meaning of life stuff. I really do not want to look for anything more profound than to wonder why Brattain’s put ketchup on everything. I actually had it on my eggs, chicken, and tuna. I am not sure if the eggs and chicken count as the same thing. It was just regular old Heinz 57. Surprisingly it tasted pretty good too.


Where did I begin again … oh right, busy day. Today I slept till noon (love that) then headed off to the town of Wakefield for some errands. I had to post (mail) something home then top up (pay for more minutes on) my phone. Interestingly you can pay by credit card in the store to get more minutes however, If you try to do it online or by calling them, they will not accept American credit cards. I think this is due to their system not accepting the zip codes for American addresses. For me it is kinda frustrating but I added 20 quid (pounds) to my phone. I hope that lasts me. I took some film of a museum Matt talked me into going to. They made me fill out some form to get permission to take pictures inside. Honestly the museum was not all that. I will edit and post the film tonight I think.




We took a bus back to Matt’s place and headed out with Stee (Steve)and Johnny to go climbing. We went to a place called “Widdop”. Man it is wet here all the time. My shoes were dripping the whole time we climbed. I was planning on saying Stee and Johnny spent their time making me feel totally inadequate and inept on the rocks because they are so much better than me, but, I am not going to say that so please erase that last sentence from your memory. The reason for this change of heart is I just read the climbing guide Matt has and it shows a picture of a dude climbing a 5c V2 boulder problem. I TOTALLY CLIMBED THAT!!! I even have it on video. Man that really just made my night! Aside from the watery shoes there were these little bugs they call midges annoying the heck out of us. Those suckers bite and bite and bite. Thankfully it looks like I am not allergic to them, I don’t have any itching now. Wow I am still stoked about climbing a V2


That’s about it. We packed up, headed into town, had the obligatory pint of ale then I am back at Matt’s now doing laundry and getting ready to travel.

No comments: