Saturday, August 2, 2008

Dude, I am totally stoked to be here.

This must be about my second day in Biarritz, I think. I will blend it in with my fourth day because that way I can put off talking about the mountains a bit longer. Did you forget the cliff hanger? I am happy to remind you.

I headed to beach on foot armed only with a couple of credit cards in my zippered pocket. No bag or anything else to distract me from the ocean. Chelsea walked with me. Made it to the beach and I barely contained my giddy little yelp as I saw the first wave. Oh by golly that place is swell. I spent the next four hours just playing in the surf and walking around scoping the spots for the next time I would be at the ocean.

On the very long walk home I did regret not having my camera so you to could enjoy the simple beauty of this city. I bought some sandals along the way so I did not look like a kook in shoes. I stopped off at a local store and refilled my belly with yogurt, banana, and bread. Yummy! I asked for directions in French and the guy gave me really complex directions with several turns and street names. I totally understood him. Go me. Funny, the whole way back I kept passing these bus stops for the number 2 bus. In fact, all the way back to the last turn to the hostel, I passed those bus stops and the bus passed me several times. Guess which bus I took back to the beach the next time I went. If you guessed number 2 bus, you sir or madam would be absolutely, positively, most undeniably (I really like dragging this on here) wrong.

Today I went to the train station to get my ticket to see Carlo in Italy on Tuesday. I spent several hours at the ticket window trying to get a ticket from Carlo’s place to Copenhagen where I need to be Aug 9th. Turns out there are no seats on any trains that he is allowed to sell me. Something about him having limited access to trains because he is in a small town. I will resolve it in Milano in Italy when I get there.

I asked the tourist office at the train station and she said to take the beach bus. It stops at all the major beaches in the area. I bought myself a 5pass ticket and headed off. The next four hours at the beach involve renting a surfboard and surfing, surfing, surfing, surfing, surfing, etc. It is all a blur now but I remember the smile slowly creep across my face as I stood on my first wave. Then it seems that kind of thing really can get stuck there if you do it enough. As I type right now about my session today I am still smiling. If you have never surfed, get a board and do it. The joy will drill deep into your soul and sustain you though any imaginable difficult time.

Funny thing about having sandals with me all day, I reverted back to my San Diego days and I never once put them on. I did carry them with me all day though just in case I felt like wearing them. HEHE I love it. I am a bit burnt but nothing major. I had plenty of sun block and it seems to have worked well for me. Tomorrow I am out at a different spot and more surfing all day longgggggggggggg

Don’t bug me I am totally stoked.

No comments: