Saturday, August 2, 2008

Yes, I actually played tag with a raging bull. He is it.


Finally, I get to the mountains. Do not read this without reading the previous 3 posts, it will ruin the surprise. Now I am going to ruin it for you so read on if you are all caught up. We took the bus to a town called Bayonne. After that we were to catch a train to the mountain base and go for a walkabout. As I was on the bus, I noticed a bunch of guys dressed in white and red. Remember the stories about Pamplona, Spain and the running of the bulls? They were dressed like that. I thought it was odd that the French would still be celebrating that festival held in Spain a while ago. As I arrived in Bayonne, I realized that something else was going on here. Everyone was dressed in red and white (for some odd reason I was even wearing a white shirt and white hat). The streets were blocked off and the bus had to stop at a staging area (not the normal stop). After asking for directions, I quickly made my way to the train station while marveling at the entire town in party mode.

I arrived at the train and went to buy the ticket. I missed the noon train by 1 minute. Trains here are almost always on time. The next train was at 14:37 (2:37 pm) leaving only 2 hours of hiking before the return trip. I decided to stay and party.

Turns out this was the French version of running with the bulls. Instead of the stupid running part they just fast forward to the actually dangerous part where they release the raging bulls into a contained area with a bunch of morons trying to slap the bull and yank a horn. If you could see me now I am totally pointing at myself. I thought with age and maturity I would grow out of stuff like this. Turns out I was wrong.

After I figured out what was about to happen, this took a while as “raging bulls” and “tag” are outside of my French vocabulary expertise, I texted my friend Matt and told him what I was doing and where I was. I asked him to notify Heather if I did not contact him later that evening. He reply with a typical male jealousy remark and assured me she would be notified.

Then the bulls came out and as everyone ran away I just stood there and got up close and personal. I actually did watch a few people do their thing and I understood the process. Someone distracts the bull (someone more experienced than me or drunk) and then everyone else runs in and says “Howdy” to the bull. I watched a bunch of guys get pummeled and walked on it was awesome. I have pictures and I have video.

For the sake of my dedicated readers, I actually stood in front of a charging bull and did not move while filming it. Unfortunately, while I am actively peeing my pants, my camera aiming ability is not very adept. I will edit and post it later so keep an eye out for that, you will get enough of the shot I believe to understand where I was and what I was doing. I was not injured in any way and I had a blast.

I once had a woman tell me that while I was growing up she would not allow her children to play with me. Her reasoning was that she saw what I was doing and she was afraid her children would try to do the same thing, and they would die. She also told me she was amazed I am still alive. Frankly, I agree with you Chris, but hey I am still living life and loving it!!!

Lates mates, I’m hittin’ the surf all day tmw.











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana you are so lucky you are in my prayers every night! Just think what might happen if you weren't! Mary and Larry

Dana said...

I thank my lucky stars every day :)