Saturday, August 2, 2008

Never have I felt more at home on vacation



Biarritz Bayonne and Pyrenees
Let’s see, where did I leave you last. Oh right, I was getting into Biarritz and I had no idea if I was going to have a place to sleep or not. It seems French hostels are not too keen on giving out directions on their website. This particular one gave directions that said “500m from train station”, and that was it. I was hoping it would be terribly obvious as I exited the train. Of course, it was not terribly obvious. I seem to be lucky as I just headed in the direction that felt right to me. Eventually, I saw a sign pointing out the way to the hostel. I guess they assume signs are better than written directions. I disagree, I think both would be super helpful.

Still wondering if I had a room the first night? Have you been worried since I have not really posted anything in a few days? Actually, the places I have stayed in France have been terrible for securing your stuff. I have had to keep the laptop under lock, key, and hiding since I have been here. I only today was able to sneak it out and bring it into town for an internet café. If you have not yet figured it out, I was able to stay at the hostel on the first night. They never did reply to my email requesting a room. I guess this is the sort of place that thinks very highly of themselves and they only need to accept advanced reservations.

It sounds like I am feeling bitter and actually it is just the opposite. After I arrived and checked in the first thing I did was SHOWER, and boy did I need it!! Later I went exploring the Hostel. I took a seat in the very comfortable lounge area and picked up a book and read for a bit. Then it hit me, I was totally and completely relaxed. I felt no pressure no nothing going on just good times, a nice breeze, and a chill atmosphere. You could feel the adrenaline and stoke coming from the other guests around me. It was like a wave of relaxation coming from every person in the building. You know that feeling you get when you go home to your parents place and kick off your shoes to plop unceremoniously on the couch? Well that is what it feels like here to me.

This is a surf beach town, small and clean. Hmm, lets think now, where did I grow up? Oh right San Diego, CA, a surf beach town, small and clean. See any similarities there? I really felt like I was in my hometown, if not for the omnipresence of no English around me it would have been home.

Showered, relaxed, and reading a very funny book by one of the hosts of the British show “Top Gear,” I must have removed the “go away” look from my face I so often carry. This chick walked up to me and asked me to join her on the other side of the room. Now keep in mind, I am not out traveling alone looking for people of the opposite sex, turns out neither was she.

Her name is Chelsea and she is originally from New Zealand but currently resides in England. She is a horticulturist, complete with degrees and everything. What this means is she is a gardener, but not just any type of garden. You know those English gardens they show in magazines and TV shows. You know the famous ones belonging to Lords and Ladies? Well turns out she is the sole gardener for many of those people. Meaning she is the only person responsible for making those works of art. Anyone who knows me well and actually listens, knows I am not terrible impressed with nature, but anyone who has seen this type of garden knows that nature cannot make that sort of stuff, so basically I liked the work. She and I have been hanging out together in Biarritz for the last few days; it is nice to be able to go to the can without worrying about my bag getting snatched.

On day two in Biarritz or day three, I am not sure because time has stopped for me for a bit here; Chelsea wanted to go hiking in the Pyrenees Mountains. I had not really read anything about them so of course I asked if she minded if I joined. The plans were set for me to go mountain climbing in a foreign country in a place I knew absolutely nothing about. The next morning we headed out to unknown peaks.

What a great place for a cliff hanger…

No comments: