Monday, January 4, 2010

First Day of Workshops in St. Petersburg

Today we worked all day with the discovery program. I have my group of
college students and I am leading them in activities. It is a
challanging group to work with, in that the goals established for this
group are difficult for me to achieve.

I can't help but thinking the reason for this has more to do with my
inability to speak Russian and less with the group I'm working with.
Every year I leave here enthused about learning the language and swear
I will continue studying throughout the year. Perhaps this year will
be the year I actually follow through.

This is my first time comming here where I have arranged my own travel
plans and visa. As well, this is the first time I will be staying
after the discovery group leaves. I can only hope this will set a
personal precidance for future visits with friends in the area.

For now I will enjoy my time here and hope it is not the last time I
visit. Since the discovery program and Jean are the main reasons I
continue to have a reason to return, I fear the worst. Jean is
retiring and the discovery program may no longer make these trips
without her. Unless Jean returns I will have to find my own purpose to
visit my friends in this corner of the world.

-Dana

No comments: