Friday, January 15, 2010

On My Own Again

Well ladies and germs, I'm feeling mostly better now from my "man flu"
as a friend of mine called it. A bit of a lingering cough but nothing
worth writing home about. (Yes I realize the irony of that statement
as I write it). The discovery team, the group of people from America I
normally spend my time with here in Russia, have boarded their flight
for Copenhagen and then Washington DC. I on the other hand still have
10 days in country.

One of my lingering regrets when I have visited Russia in the past has
been the limited time in St Petersburg. We normally take the train in,
work like sled dogs for three-four days, then train back. Any social
time must be handled in lieu of meals or sleep, or both as is often
the case. I cannot proffess my preference for Moscow or St Petersburg
(there is definate rivalry for visitors affections) but I have plenty
of time in Moscow to explore the things I do and do not want to see.
This time I decided to do something about my regrets.

Thankfully I have made many friends in both cities. One friend was
able to find me a place to stay (ie floor to crash on) for a week in
StP. I jumped at the chance and made sure my trip would be slightly
extended beyond the normal discovery trip. As I type this now, I am on
a plane flying to StP. My friend will meet me at the airport and then
we will head into town and commence chillation. (neologism- credit->me).

The original plan was to head to the flat (means apartment ya Yanks)
dump my bags and have a quiet dinner in town and catchup, or rather
converse with me while I'm not sleep deprived. Not all plans go
as...well...as planned. Some other people found out I was comming in
today, all friends of course. And the quiet dinner has turned into an
evening at a pub with many people joining. Sure glad I am feeling much
better. With my mostly healthy self and the augmentation of miracle
drugs, I should be able to at least hold my own tonight.

For those of you wondering, my intention is to consume large
quantities of H2O tonight and avoid the distilled fruits and vegetable
including hops wheat and barley. If you did not understand the
previous references then you must be under 21 or do not drink at all.
If all goes well I will have some good tales to tell after tonight.

-Dana

No comments: